Keepers of the New Age
Grigor are gruff, simian humanoids whose origins lie in southern Uthrei. Though the largest concentration of grigor is found in southern Uthrei, they have been wandering the known world for untold millennia, and are thus found in small numbers across its breadth.
Grigor are quite long-lived and preternaturally resilient beings, able to weather both physical and magical attacks with natural ease. Though they have no unifying culture, they often turn to life as druidic hermits, as they feel a deep connection to the natural world and its creatures. They are tactless and bold in conversation, and they generally despise interactions that are not direct and forthcoming.
Physical Description: The Grigor are broad of chest and shoulder with great upper body strength, slightly taller than the average human. They are hairless and ape-like in appearance, with flat noses, sloping brows, and broad hands and feet. Their skin tones range between olive, mottled grey, and near black. They prefer to go around bare-footed, building up calluses for their travels.
Society: Grigor are largely solitary individuals, and have ever been decentralized and nomadic in nature. When one grigor meets another, it is a happy occasion for them both, as, despite their singular nature, they have much love for their own kind. When a male and female grigor meet, these feelings quite often lead to mating, which is well and good for the propagation of their race.
The Imperium views grigor as sub-human and pitiable, but does not classify them as threatening to civil order. Even so, grigor cannot hope to hold any sort of prominence in Imperial society. Most households will not suffer one as a servant or even a slave. After all, even half-orcs are part human. Harsh work as an Imperial mercenary is the most any Imperial-minded grigor can hope for.
Relations: Grigor are by nature tactless and brazen individuals who prefer to roam the world alone and without ties. Because of this, they are somewhat slow to make friends, and other races generally avoid relations with them that do not involve hiring them for their natural abilities and discretion, much put off by their brutish demeanor.
Despite all this, grigor and dwarves find common ground more often than not, as both are are fond of verbal confrontation and directness, making interaction with dwarves quite refreshing for a grigor weary of the subtleties of most civilized conversation.
Alignment and Religion: Grigor have no gods as a whole. They tend towards all forms of neutrality and moral ambiguity due to lives largely spent wandering and fending for themselves.
Adventurers: Grigor adventures are often individuals who simply prefer to travel with others rather than alone, either for the sake of interesting company or merely for safety in numbers.
ABILITY SCORE MODIFIERS: +2 STR / +2 CON / -2 CHA
- Climb – Grigor have a climb speed of 20 feet, and gain a +4 racial bonus on Climb checks that a climb speed normally grants.
- Hardy – Grigor gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities.
- Healthy – Grigor gain a +4 bonus on Fortitude saves against disease and poison, including magical diseases.
- Lifebound – Grigor gain a +2 racial bonus on all saving throws made to resist death effects, saving throws against negative energy effects, Fortitude saves to remove negative levels, and Constitution checks made to stabilize if reduced to negative hit points.
- Deathless Spirit – Grigor gain resistance 5 against negative energy damage. They do not loose hit points when they gain a negative level, and they gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against death effects, energy drain, negative energy, and spells or spell-like abilities of the necromancy school.